It might be looking up by now, more vaccine available. Biden has moved the needles in certan specific ways.
And christ, every day I am saddened by the news of so many who have had it more worse than we have. But it’s been a fucking year. We can all say that. In my case:
- Just trying to be a first-time parent of an ~18mo
- Child care not stable (and no real rebound, backup)
- At least one close relative vax-hesitant
- Not getting to see family (or get their help) to the degree we would have with the kid if it weren’t a pandemic
- Being buzzed by Hueys on top of normal stupid helo traffic in this town
- Fences and razor wire cutting off main thoroughfares to rest of the city
- Most close friends have moved away
- Spouse doing double-time at her job, dictated by current events (and overwhelmed with the failure of policy to support a certain vulnerable population before COVID even became a thing)
- No time between anything, not if I’m going to keep (or set) pace at work and with the toddler.
- Sick of everything on a screen
I don’t need to go more than a block from my house to be reminded I’ve got it good.
Now, 17 blocks from my house or so… I’m reminded how good others have it to be able to control government from doing anything meaningful and honest for my needier neighbors, let alone the rest of us.
32-ish blocks, the great Not-Trump is still Ok doing illegal bombings with war powers he doesn’t have, never mind he shouldn’t have the ones he does have.